Saturday, December 20, 2008

Unpredictability Knocks Again

What a crazy two weeks the last two have been! The most relevant hectic-ness started after returning from camping. The next few days were grey and rainy and Kristin was busy with some side work, family responsibilites etc, so I had a lot of time to sit and think (which isn't always a good thing). What I found out though was that I was suffering from a case of (gasp) homesickness. I hardly even knew what to make of this. It is such a strange experience/emotion and so far out of my normal experience. But, as is often the case, the first step to recovery is admitting there is a problem and those few listless days resulted in some drastic, overall positive changes:

1. Noah is now in Australia with me. He arrived on the 15th (we bought the ticket on the 10th) and I think both of us are alternately in shock that we are now in Sydney together, but are both happier for it. We are still staying with Kristin and her family who have been absolutely amazing to me/us over the last month. It is already a home away from home here, which is great. We are planning to stay here through at least the 8th of January because Kristin and I have tickets to see a Cirque de Soleil show at the opera house that afternoon, and I have no intention of missing out on it. After that, who knows.

2. Since the whole reason Noah hadn't planned on coming to meet me earlier in the first place was his lack of funding, I am subsidizing his spur of the moment holiday. (As my wonderful sister pointed out to me though, using my nest egg in this way makes sense; the core intention of saving up was to buy myself a period of time with the complete freedom to do whatever I wanted to/made me happy and helping Noah afford to be here with me fits that bill.) At the end of the day though, we will be living the cliche of young, in love, and broke--although right now we are only young, in love, and poor, but a couple of months here will change that. The ultimate upswing of this is that South East Asia will likely be happening some other day on some other adventure and that (barring a lucky lotto ticket) we will be returning to the States at the end of February when my Aussie visa expires. At that point, it follows logically that we'll head back to Driggs, at least for a little while so, at the least, my parents can meet the person that has caused their rather level-headed, reasonable daughter to behave in a rather abnormal manner the last few months. (It does help a little though that no matter how logical I am, I have always been a bit unpredictable). Don't hold me to any of that though, I'm not hedging bets on anything going as "planned" these days.

3. I am truly happy, although still often conflicted with myself over the rapid, extreme change of events over the last few months, but that is almost to be expected I think. I am still a bit homesick for mom, dad and Robin at times, especially thinking about the upcoming Christmas holiday that I have never spent anywhere else than at home with the three of them. I am, however, not at all missing the winter weather and continue to revel in the beach and sunshine aspect this Christmastime has to offer. Other than that, I am blown away by life, myself, Noah, and, more generally, the Universe at large. Here's to the last couple weeks of 2008!

No comments: