Wednesday, October 1, 2008

From Portland

Well, my month long affair with the northwest will be coming to end quite soon as I fly back to DC/Virginia for the next installment of my-transition-time-in-the-states-before-flying-overseas phase. In a sense, I feel like the real trip will start when I check in at the yoga Ashram in Virginia on the 17th 0f October (I did, finally get accepted) because, at that point, I will be saying goodbye to the couch-crashing with no agenda in particular other than getting to catch up and hang-out with various friends and family installment of my trip.

Most important news item number one: I have, indeed, purchased--or rather, invested in--a real live ticket that will take me from New Zealand to Australia to Bangkok, and back to LA during a time span of 1-1 1/2 years. I give that time range because I can change the dates of travel for very little or no extra cost (with fine print I have no need to go into) that would allow me to stay abroad until March of 2010. Right now though, I'm scheduled to come back the first of September next year. Guess we'll see where the road carries me, and, for now, it is nice to know the flexibility exists. So wow, no turning back now!! I fly out of the country on the 23rd of November.

Most important news item number two: I have voted! I sent in the ballot this afternoon, signed sealed, and clearly marked! I've done my part as an involved citizen! Now I can leave the country.

In other, potentially less important news: The last week or so has been quite enjoyable (I am finding time a bit difficult to pin down for a count of ten the last few weeks, so maybe it's actually been two weeks, or maybe only four days, I can't quite tell, but however long it's been, it's been enjoyable). I finally mailed a few boxes home of random items and am down to WHAT I REALLY NEED--or at least think I need. That feels rather exciting. I had a wonderful visit with my cousin Nicki and her husband John and stayed with them for three nights (Happy almost Birthday John!). I left their house with all my stuff on my back, guitar in hand for the first time since leaving home and headed off to Bainbridge Island again where I met my friend Sandra, hopped in the car and headed down to Eugene for a mini-reunion with our good friend Paulina. We had a fabulous time visiting her, went out dancing, lazed around the pool, went to yoga, watched a movie, ate a lot of good food and basically caught up. From there we zipped up to Portland and she dropped me off downtown at my friends' apartment (she then spent a night with some folks she knew in the area, we had lunch together today and said goodbye-she headed back home, I'm still in Portland).

Today we walked up to the Rose Gardens mid afternoon, then caught some dinner and my first experience with bubble tea. (The tea experience, by the end of the glass--when the tea part had all disappeared--began to feel like a war I was fighting with my beverage, desperately attempting to suck up the tapioca balls through the large over-sized straw without inhaling one and choking--which nearly happened. It was tasty overall though.) The evening attraction was a show put on by the Vaux Swift population living in a chimney of a local elementary school. They are these pretty cool little birds that can't perch on trees so fly all the time and travel in very large flocks. At night they sleep "standing" up attached to walls of old hollowed out trees or chimneys--depending on availability and cost of real estate. We watched them swoop around in the sky for some time, twisting and turning and slowly flying into the chimney one by one for a good night's rest. Megan and Alex tell me the show was far less than it's most impressive since it is near the end of Vaux Swift Season here--apparently they migrate further south since it starts to be winter in the Portland area soon.

Mixed in among the stays mentioned above, I've also managed to catch coffee or a drink or a just a random conversation with different friends and acquaintances. I feel I have been doing a lot of talking, listening, philosophizing, laughing, and talking again. I can't quite remember what information or story I've told to which person, the plot lines are getting all tangled up in my head and tripping over one another (a little like Seattle traffic).

I'll be catching a train back up to Seattle tomorrow, staying with Lizzy one last night and will then be getting dropped off at the airport for a cross-country flight and the last leg of friends and family. It really has been wonderful to get to see so many people over the last month and I am so grateful for everyone's hospitality, company, conversations, couches, etc. It has all been greatly appreciated and enjoyed.



Paulina, Sandra and I--out on the town etc. We have a
mutual friend who is a regional director for the Obama campaign
and we stopped by to say hi one night. We thought a picture was
appropriate.


Portland Rose Garden


Me, Alex and Megan in P-town

No comments: