Saturday, October 25, 2008

Welcome to Yogaville

As they say here, Hari Om. Welcome to my Yogaville post.

DON'T FORGET TO VOTE!!!!!!


Yogaville is proving to be a total retreat from the real world while somehow managing to confront it at the same time...

I like it here, for now. It is quite and serene and full of positive vibrations--although definitely a different world than that I just came from. I arrived two Fridays ago and let out a sigh of relief as I unpacked my backpack and moved everything into a dresser (I could hardly believe my great fortune that I would be getting an entire dresser to MYSELF, what an extravagance!).

The tone of here is definitely spiritual and the place reminds me a little of a monastery except with a larger variety of people, more yoga, and general openness. Yogaville was established by Shri Swami Sachitananda (which some of you may know of; I myself had not heard or known much of him before arriving, but you learn fast here) and is based on his concept of Integral Yoga. Sachitananda is super well know throughout the world in a number of circles (eg: he opened Woodstock and has also met with the Pope, more than once). He died in 2002, but the lessons don't ever die and, I imagine, will be carried through time by his followers. In his life as a spiritual leader, Swamiji (as some call him) was dedicated to cultivating interfaith relations and that belief is clearly felt here as the tone is very open and accepting to whatever you do or don't want to believe--which is a good thing for me. Actually, the diversity among ages, faiths, beliefs, and reasons for coming here are so varied, it makes for neat atmosphere.

The program I'm doing is called the Living Yoga Training Program (LYT) and there are currently 12 others in the same program (although only two others started the same day as me, it's an ongoing program). Other people here are simply guests, or maybe support staff, or involved in more long-term service program like the Karma Yoga Program. In addition there are all the Swamis (reverend/monks...) and a number of general community members that live either on or near Yogaville property. So far, I'm enjoying everyone I meet for a variety of different reasons.


Life schedule is pretty simple and regular here with not too much to worry about. There are regular mediation and yoga classes scheduled everyday. As a LYT I have to attend a certain number of both, but am finding no issue with meeting the "requirement." I've been waking up and going to a 5 am mediation session, then from there to a Hatha Yoga class, then to breakfast. There is another meditation session 45 minutes before lunch in a variety of locations and another yoga class and/or mediation in the evening. Mixed in between that I have my service hours (generally working in with housekeeping or in the kitchen). Besides that, there are a few special programs and the schedule remains pretty simple and regular. In many ways, the days are floating by.

The style of yoga taught here is definitely different than the Anusara from home that I am used to. The Hatha yoga classes offered here are much more mellow, slow and relaxed--plus we do almost exactly the same practice in every class, with only slight variations. So far, I think both types of practice have there place and am enjoying exploring a slightly new look at yoga in the classes here and, no matter what, I can already feel my body opening up because two yoga classes a day cannot be bad for me at all!


I am living in a dorm room with two other ladies, one who just turned 50 and another girl a couple year older than myself. Living in a dorm again and eating at a dining hall is something both so familiar but so not what my world has been the last couple of years. I am enjoying it though.

The Ashram is very rurally located and feels removed from the bustle of life both physically and mentally. The scenery is
beautiful and the fall colors are just starting to reach their peak, although they have already been thoroughly entertaining the casual observer for the last couple of weeks. The temperature is starting to get a bit chilly and the number of cold weather clothing items packed in my backpack is being pushed a little, but nothing too tragic. I am immensely enjoying everything from the squash in the dining hall to the nip in the morning air and colors on the trees. I think I will continue to do so as long as it does not start raining everyday (and I'll be feeling on top of the world if I never see any snow!).

It occurs to me every once and awhile that I will be in New Zealand a month from now doing who knows what, and that blows my mind a bit; then I forget about it, because I figure I have to get through now in order to get to there. It is something fabulous to look forward to and I think, in some ways, I don't think about it just because I have no idea of what even to expect! Well, that's all for now, love to all and a friendly reminder among all of this...

GO VOTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

Angela said...

Hi Martha, I really enjoyed your post on LYT. I will begin the program myself this October and found your review very helpful in knowing what to expect.

www.4hundredand25.com