Thursday, September 30, 2010

Lomi Lomi into fall

Well, it is official. They have closed the pool at the condo complex. Summer must be over. The weather actually shifted (quite appropriately I must add) the day or so right after the equinox and it is decidedly fall. It's beautiful. Leaves are still mostly green, but starting to go. I have read that the show this year will be less impressive than other years though because of the unusually warm weather that we had through September. I'm sure it will still be beautiful.

Last weekend I took my first continuing education course for massage out at the Center for Massage where I went to school. The course was Lomi Lomi massage which is a traditional Hawaiian massage modality with a strong emphasis on the flowing, poetic nature a massage can have. It treats massage as a dance and is much less finger/wrist/hand intensive than other modalities (but can still work quite deeply and powerfully). It was a wonderful course to take and was nice (but a bit surreal) to hop back into the student role for a few days. It feels like both yesterday and light years ago that I was driving out to the Center three days a week and attending class and it was interesting for me to reflect on how much has changed since then, but how fluid the whole experience feels. Everything in tiny increments it seems.

Tuesday night of this week, Suzanne and I (who I share my massage space with and went to school with) had the opportunity to work a chair massage event in town. We were hired for two hours to do chair massage at a restaurant's staff appreciation party. It was really fun. I haven't done chair massage since we were in school but it is such a different way to share the power of touch. I am so grateful that the opportunity sort of just fell into our laps!

All else continues to hum along as always. Robin and I will be taking a quick get-away this Sunday/Monday to go to the beach in Charleston, SC for a couple of nights. We are both excited. It will be the first time I have driven very south or east of Asheville since arriving so will be a new adventure, plus, we're going to the beach in October. How great is that?!

No comments: