Sunday, June 26, 2011

The Move

Well the month of May...and June...have flown by!! Robin and I moved into a new house in West Asheville the first of the month right after mom and dad came for a visit. We spent a few days with them in Charleston, SC at the beach, drove back on a Wednesday night, packed our entire house up on Thursday, rented a U-haul and moved everything Friday, then both went to work all day Saturday and Sunday. The ensuing weeks have been absolutely crazy, but I for one am really happy to be in the new place (even though I loved the old place too!). We moved in with a friend, Caitlin, who used to live with a mutual friend Robin and I met working at Mela. She is fabulous and it is actually really nice to be sharing space with her.

We are living in an actual house now that is newly remodeled, and so is very nice and new and clean. The owner bought it and renovated it with hopes to sell it but it has sat empty for too long and he decided to rent it instead. It is really wonderful to have a yard and a house feel; it is definitely different than living in a the condo. The best part though is the house's location. West Asheville has it's own small town, community feel with it's own collection of restaurants etc. Both Robin and I are working over here, which means we now walk to work and sometimes go several days without actually getting in the car to go anywhere. I LOVE it! The cats are having a little bit of a rough time adjusting, but are slowly coming around. We are (finally) almost settled in. There are pictures on the walls, no more boxes and we we just bought a few more rug for the floors today, which already makes it feel a tad cozier.

I am working at the garden 3 days a week and loving it, even if all I do some days is weed. I also have one regular shift as a receptionist at the acupuncture clinic and am starting to pick up some on massage clients, which is so good and I am increasingly enjoying practicing. Starting July 1 I will be renting about 15 hours a week in the space I used to have an office in, which I am excited about. Between there and the space in my house, I have a decent amount of availability without intruding too much on the home environment. Plus it is a 10 minute walk from where I live.

I spent last week back in Driggs visiting family and friends. Despite the (typical) mid-June rainy/cold weather, I had a wonderful visit. It was also nice to come home to Asheville after the visit. That is a pretty significant shift really, to refer to coming back to Asheville as coming home! All in all, things are going really well and I'm happy. I do not often know what to expect a week from now, but that is part of the beauty-working on the present moment!

No comments: